Ads

Saturday, November 16, 2013

On Disciplining

One of the Kulilits, Ian, has a habit of hitting and shouting when he's mad, angry or frustrated. I really try my best to keep calm every time he does it. I either talk to him firmly and explain to him that it's not good to do that or I give him a time-out until his feelings of madness, anger or frustration is gone.

Until yesterday, he hit me on two different occasions with a matching shout as if he's the authority. First is when we were on our way home from Festival because I didn't allow him to climb the reception table at OGUSCA and the second one is when we were on our way home from Mang Raul's when he suddenly asks for another hotdog. 

It's really frustrating when he does that. Since his habit is becoming worse despite my one on one talks with him and time-outs, I decided to finally discipline him last night. I wanted him to know that I won't tolerate his bad habit anymore and he has to know who's the boss.

I used the discipline rod on him when we arrived home. Initially, I gave him 3. But after I spanked him, he showed a sign of rebellion by shouting again. So I gave him another 2. That's the time he finally stopped. After that, I talked to him and explained him that what he did was wrong. He's not suppose to hit me and shout at me. I told him that it is being disrespectful. I explained him that I love him dearly that's why I'm disciplining him so that he'll be a good boy. I also told him that as much as possible I don't want to use the discipline rod at him but there are times that I needed to use it in order to stop the bad habit.

He seems to listen when I talked to him but it took some time before he said sorry to me. I left the room first to give him time to think then when I went back he went to me and said sorry. I hugged him tightly and told him that I forgave him already and I love him so much. He told me "Mommy, no more hitting. No more shouting." I'm very pleased to hear him say that because I know that he understood the things that I told him.

It really breaks my heart every time I use the discipline rod. As much as possible I don't want to use it. But I know that at some point, I need to use it.

Proverbs 13:24 (NIV)

Whoever spares the rod hates their children,
but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.


How about you guys? Are you experiencing this kind of situation with your toddlers too? How do you discipline them?


No comments:

Post a Comment